8.28.2006

Whither Fashion?

This (from Rockstar Mommy) is dead-on. I've been shopping twice over the last two weeks (Back to School time, dontcha know?), and have found the pickings scarce. Even at H&M, I only came away with two shirts--albeit, two shirts that actually fit me, unlike the shirts of last week's trip. Usually I'm guaranteed to find an armload of cute clothes that fit my budget at H&M. Fashion has apparently taken a break from being at all...fashionable, for lack of a better word.

One thing that RSM didn't mention is the bane of my existence: the formal short. There are brocade shorts, wool shorts, and, my "favorite," the short suit. People, shorts don't belong in the workplace! And as long as you're manufacturing these hideous creations, you are depriving sane women everywhere of skirts! Cute skirts. Skirts that are appropriate to wear to work or play. Skirts that aren't...shorts! I had the impulse to ask store clerks at H&M, Banana Republic, J. Crew, and Ann Taylor--all of whom were proudly hawking short suits--when they predicted the trend would end. I could have found really cute things at Filene's if it wasn't for the damn short suit. (Shame on you, Marc Jacobs! How could one of my favorite designers let me down so harshly?)

I blame Fergie.

No comments: